Some time ago, I received a message from Erik Wachtmeister, founder and CEO of A Small World. Interestingly, when I tried to connect with him on his own Social Network, the site denied me with an error message; “You cannot connect to this member, they are in ABIGWORLD.”
According to Wikipedia, aBigWorld is a place where problematic users are supposedly exiled to… You can’t find many references to exiles, so perhaps that’s only what their marketing people want you to believe, or maybe people are too embarrassed to reveal that they’ve been moved to aBigWorld…
Since then, I’ve seen that founder and CEO of aSmallWorld is now starting a new social network called Best Of All Worlds, described as the Next Generation of Social Media.
Curious? Me too! You can register on the site for early access (when it becomes available), but for me, that wasn’t sufficient. According to an exclusive interview given earlier this year, Erik Wachtmeister described Best Of All Worlds in five bullet points, all very interesting:
- It’s a discovery platform for new people, places and things. Facebook is aggregating the social breath and kind of finding everybody what you’ve ever met or you know, it’s kind of your old network. We’re focusing on your future network.
- A global melting pot that aggregates people 3 degree networks and people who share similar interests. So it doesn’t necessarily mean that it aggregates people who already know each other but it aggregates people who know each other by 3 degrees or are not connected by 3 degrees but who have the same passions.
- We’re an aggregator of online activities including your activities on Facebook, your activities on Twitter, on Flicke, LinkedIn, Zing, etc. so we will be at hub where you will be able to get all your feats if you want them; 2 ways where you can get your information, your messages from Twitter and Facebook for instance and where you can post and it will post on to those networks.
- We are a social operating system with very wide ranging search and matching tools. So if you’re in Geneva on business and you don’t know anybody in Geneva and you’re there for two days, you can actually look in your iPhone and look say within 500 meters, who in my friends of friends’ network who plays tennis is here right now? And you will be able to find out immediately in real time.
- We’re developing and we will be a platform for diverse global interest groups. So everybody talks about niche groups; so rather than people joining 50 different niche communities and with different log-ins and passwords, they can join Best of All Worlds and they can be part of the hunting group or the new mothers group or fashion mavens or golf players travelling around the world or entrepreneurs; so we will be creating global groups that actually don’t exist today on any other platform. So our mission is really to aggregate the best that’s out there and available online and bringing relevant information such as the best iPad apps, the best iPhone apps; you know there are hundreds and thousands of apps and who knows what apps you want to download but if you can get good ideas from people you trust, I think it’s very helpful. Also movies, music, hotels, house rentals, etc.
I haven’t seen any activity on the site or notice of any impending launch, but I see that Wachtmeister is active on Quora, twitter and on facebook, indubitably doing his research and preparing to take the world by storm.